Thoughts From The Wells

Welcome to a Northern Girl's Take on Things

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This is making me hungry!!

Well, these two days (20 and 21!) really tie into each other.  Cooking and baking are hobbies of mine, I love doing them on a cold, house bound day, and Lord knows there are enough of those up here!  These two days are asking for a hobby and a recipe.  Here is one of my favorite recipes:

Buckets O' Bacon Potato Soup - Mamabear Style

Cook 2 - 3 lbs of diced bacon (really depends on how much you love bacon, and how much soup you want to make!) - drain most of the fat
Saute 2 chopped onions in remaining bacon fat
Add diced potatoes, usually 10 or so, depending on how much soup you want and how thick you want it.  Cover with water and cook until potatoes are tender but still firm (not mushy!!)  Heat 2 cans of cream of chicken soup in microwave on low until creamy.  Blend with the soup, add salt to taste.  Heat soup (don't boil). 
***Top with shredded cheddar cheese when serving***

This is the best cold day, comfort food I can think of - it's sooooo good, and reminds me of my Mom's cooking - she is the original soup nazi!!

Another really quick recipe I have is for the easiest appetizer ever - maraschino cherries wrapped with bacon.  It's just like it sounds - wrap a cherry with 1/2 piece of bacon, spear with toothpick, lay on cookie sheets and cook until bacon is crispy.  I know, I know, the first time I heard of this, I though - GROSS!!  But once I tried them, I couldn't stop!  Seriously, you must try these!

I'd love to hear if any of you try these recipes - let me know how they work for you!

Cheers!

1 comment:

nancy said...

That soup sounds seriously yummy. I must try it. I'll admit that the bacon cherries sounds pretty, um, weird. But I'll take your word for it that it's good. I'll have to try it out!