Thoughts From The Wells

Welcome to a Northern Girl's Take on Things

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Something I've Always Wanted To Do

As I approach a number closer to 40 (not until next March, but still - time seems to be going faster and faster), I am thinking about the things I have ambitions to do. Lately, I have been thinking that I would like to run a 5K.



The thought of crossing that finish line with so much pride and satisfaction gets me a little excited! The thought of actually running it terrifies the bejeebies out of me. I mean, really. I'm not a runner. I don't even own a pair of runners. I own loafers (huh, what is this telling me?), I own sandals, sandals with straps, heels, flowers, I even own golf sandals (which I love, by the way). I don't own runners. Therefore, I don't run. But, I think I could run.



I'm not sure how I would start training, or where I would run, or even how long a 5K should take me (I don't care, really, how long it takes, I just don't want to finish last). You know that saying, "you don't have to be the fastest, you just have to be faster than the slowest"? That's kinda where I see myself. Although, I do have to say, I am kind of athletic, I think I could do this. I do pretty much every sport but running.



I think I'm talking myself into this.

2 comments:

RN Mama said...

You should go for it! There is such a sense of satisfaction crossing that finish line, I can't even explain it to you:) My Dad ran his first 5K last summer at age 57, and until he started training he had never ran a day in his life! If he can do it, you definitely can! You should check out the couch to 5K training plan, I have never done it, but I know lots of people who have.

Sara McCarty said...

You can totally become a runner! I was not a runner a few years ago and just decided one that I would try. I began the "Couch to 5k" program. It's awesome and changed everything. A few months later I ran a half marathon. And a year and a half later I ran a full marathon! You can do it too! I promise! Check out the Couch to 5K program and also look into Hal Higdon's website for schedules and advice on how to start! And feel free to ask me questions if you have any! Good luck!