Thoughts From The Wells

Welcome to a Northern Girl's Take on Things

Saturday, May 8, 2010

From The Worst To The Best

I used to hate Mother's Day. I would just dread the day and everything having to do with it. Don't get me wrong, I am very appreciative of my Mom, and celebrated the day with her every year. However, after getting married and deciding to try to have a baby ourselves (with no success for 9 years), I disliked the day more and more, year after year. Commercials on tv, signs everywhere you turn, even people wishing you a Happy Mother's Day (I must have "looked" old enough to have kids, and I guess it was just an assumption). Hate, hate, hate.

I know that hate is a strong word, but ask anyone who has trouble having children when they want to have them. Hate is pretty appropriate.

Mother's Day 2007 became one of my favorite days, after our daughter was born in July of 2006. I feel a little selfish in saying that I hated a day meant to honor my Mom, and like I said, I would celebrate with her every year, but there was a huge chunk of my heart missing, especially on that day. Anyhow, in preparation for "MY" special day in 2007, I did everything I could to instruct my husband on how to make this day the best it could be for me. That sounds very selfish as well, but let me tell you, my hubby's specialty isn't putting a huge amount of thought into special occasions.

He does okay, but he's a last minute kid of guy, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting tennis rackets for my very first Mother's Day (another story for another time). I informed him that I was sleeping in that day, and that I wanted a ring from my daughter. That was pretty much it, but it was important that I got a piece of jewelery from my little girl. And to this day, whenever I look at my ring, I remember how special my 1st Mother's Day was, and how long I waited for it.

I am not high maintenance, by any means (even my hubby will tell you that), but, damnit, I was going to get the gift I wanted and spend the day the way I wanted - and I did. Because I earned it. Happy Mother's Day to all Mom's, and to everyone who has a child whom they haven't met yet.

2 comments:

RN Mama said...

I hope you had a great Mother's Day this year too, and were able to sleep in:)

Claire said...

I did have a great Mother's Day - Dan was out of town, so I didn't get to sleep in, but a 3 year old helping me make waffles made up for it! ;)