Thoughts From The Wells

Welcome to a Northern Girl's Take on Things

Sunday, March 6, 2011

What Do You Remember?

I came across a post on facebook today that reminisced about things that remind you of childhood.  When was your childhood?  Mine was in the late 70's and 80's (from what I can remember, I was just a wee one in the early 70's).  As I read this post, I suddenly was hit with vivid memories - a couple of them brought tears to my eyes - I had such an awesome time being a kid!!  Here are some of my favorites from my younger years:

Running through the sprinklers on a HOT day.

Riding your bike as hard as you could until your legs burned.

A first kiss at the roller rink, and though it was supposed to be special, it was the most disgusting thing I'd experienced thus far in my life.

The first day of school.

The last day of school.

Christmas morning.

Going on a vacation - it was all fun - all of it.  There was no packing, no driving, no stress - kids don't have to worry about that stuff.

Cream of Wheat on the stove on a cold winter's morning.

Crawling into Mom and Dad's bed after a bad dream.

Four square, hopscotch, dodge ball, tetherball.

Game days, whether it was for ringette, volleyball or softball.

Having a true BFF.

Having a fight with my true BFF.

Making up with my true BFF.

Favorite teachers.

Watching lightening storms from our picture window.

Camping, and wandering through the forest for no reason other than to just be there.

Opening birthday presents first thing in the morning on Mom and Dad's bed.

Friday's pizza night.  Every Friday.

Saturday morning cartoons.  Accompanied by cold pizza.

The Flintstones.  Family Ties.  Cheers.  The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show.  The Waltons.

Olivia Newton John.  The Bee Gees.  David Cassidy.

Sleep overs.

Only having to dial the last four numbers when I phoned anyone.

Summertime freedom with cement so hot, you couldn't walk on it.

Wishing I could grow up.  Faster.

No comments: